What are coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are a large family of respiratory viruses, but only several types are known to commonly cause infections in people.
Is there a treatment?
There are no specific treatments recommended for infection with the COVID-19. People infected with COVID-19 should receive supportive care to help relieve symptoms, such as taking pain or fever medications, drinking plenty of fluids, and staying home and resting. Some patients who are very sick may need to go to the hospital to get care.
How can I protect myself?
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
- Stay home from work or school if you have a fever or are not feeling well
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. Symptoms of people with confirmed COVID-19 infections have primarily included:
- Difficulty breathing